The Classics Club has come up with a fun way to get us motivated and reading our list books–the Classics Spin! And since my own list has been languishing a bit lately, I’m going to accept the challenge. The rules are:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by April 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
So here goes!
Five books I’m dreading/hesitant to read
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
2. The Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper
3. Une Vie by Guy de Maupassant
4. Antigone by Sophocles
5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Five books I can’t WAIT to read
6. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
7. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
8. A Room With a View by E.M. Forster
9. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
10. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Five books I’m neutral about
11. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
12. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
13. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
14. The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton
15. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery
16. The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
17. The Awakening by Kate Chopin
18. Mythology by Edith Hamilton
19. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
20. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee