Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Today’s top ten list is of ‘Top Ten Authors That I’d Put On My Auto-Buy List’. These are basically authors that I love so much that no matter what they wrote next I would buy it, regardless of genre or subject matter.
1. Joshilyn Jackson – I am very, very picky about Southern writers and let me tell you, JJ is the real deal. Great stories with memorable characters and a lot of fun and heart. Love her!
2. Kate Atkinson – Quirky, funny, clever, and touching. All of her books make me think and feel–usually in a good way. There is no other writer quite like her.
3. Barbara Kingsolver – I love the way Kingsolver is able to combine plot-driven novels with social commentary. I learn a lot from her books and admire her intellect.
4. Julia Spencer-Fleming – I am obsessed with her mystery series set in a small town in the Adirondack mountains and its love story between an old cop and a young priest.
5. Ann Patchett – I haven’t loved everything that Patchett has written, but she’s enormously talented and when she gets it right she REALLY gets it right. My favorite is her non-fiction book Truth and Beauty, so I’m excited that she has a new non-fiction work coming out soon.
6. Laura Hillenbrand – And speaking of non-fiction, her books are amazing. Seabiscuit is my favorite, but Unbroken was great, too. Brilliant writer.
7. Rosina Lippi/Sara Donati – Although she’s written works across several different genres, her talent shines through in every book. Literary fiction, historical fiction, or contemporary southern fiction–there’s something for everyone.
8. Marian Keyes – I haven’t loved all her books equally, but they are always entertaining, and at her best Keyes is able to combine humor and serious issues in a way that few writers can manage. Anyone Out There? is my favorite.
9. Curtis Sittenfeld – I loved Sittenfeld’s debut novel Prep, and I’ve enjoyed everything she’s written since (she has a new one coming out soon, too!) She somehow manages to make me enjoy books even when I don’t really like the main character, and that is rare.
10. Andrea Barrett – For the sheer beauty of the language she uses, Barrett is one of those writers whose books you want to read slowly just to savor them. She has a new collection of short stories coming out soon.
Which authors are on your auto-buy list?