The Classics Club has come up with a fun way to get us motivated and reading our list books–the Classics Spin! This will be my
second third attempt at reading a spin book, and hopefully I’ll be more successful this time around.
The rules are:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List (Disclaimer: I’m kind of “adjusting” my list as I go, so to be fair a lot of these aren’t on the original list).
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by April 2nd, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
My Spin List for the Classics Club –
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
- Agnes Gray by Anne Brontë
- Shirley by Charlotte Brontë
- The Professor by Charlotte Brontë
- My Antonia by Willa Cather
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- The Good Earth by Pearl Buck
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The Sound of the Mountain by Yasunari Kawabata (the “dare” book!)
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney
- The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
- The Group by Mary McCarthy
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
- No Longer at Ease by Chinua Achebe
- Reader’s Choice! – If I get this one, I’ll read the first classic book that someone suggests. Just to keep me on my toes. 🙂