I turned 40 in 2016 and I started my 40×40 project to focus on things that I wanted to do before that birthday. I wanted to be more mindful, try new things, be challenged, and maybe even surprise myself. And as I haven’t done everything on my list, I decided that this will now be a rolling list. I’ll keep it going and even add a new item every year on my birthday. ‘Cause baby, I’m just getting started.
- Go kayaking.
Make a quilt. Take a monthly hike with my family. Sing in front of an audience. Submit a piece of writing for publication. Take my children camping.
- Memorize a poem.
- Learn how to swim (with a proper stroke technique, not just dog paddle).
Learn to knit. Play a complete song on the mandolin.
- Buy a little black dress.
- Get my hair cut short *gulp*.
Climb Stone Mountain.
- Create an original piece of artwork.
- Develop a daily yoga practice.
Have a girls’ weekend with my best friend. Eat collard greens.
- Learn basic auto maintenance.
- Become comfortable driving a manual transmission car.
Run a 5K.
- Spend the night outside.
Learn how to play poker.
- Build something from scratch.
- Sew a piece of clothing to wear.
- Read a novel in French.
- Successfully complete a ‘No Spend Month’ challenge.
Drink a martini.
- Bake a coconut cream pie.
- Write my will.
- Perform a headstand without support.
- Treat myself to a spa/hammam day.
- Create a bullet journal.
- Attend a Unitarian or Episcopal church service.
- Take a family road trip.
Host a party.
- Call a family member at least once a week.
- Donate blood.
- Try a barre class.
- Plant something from a seed and watch it grow.
See Chris Thile in concert.
- See Hamilton!